What are we to do on the Sabbath??
First of all Sabbath is HOLY and a day of rest …a day dedicated to YHWH and His Ways. It is a time to relax and reflect which is a hard thing to do when you lead a busy life! I know for me and my husband ( and also our children) it requires alot of commitment. Fridays are always VERY busy for me so it requires preparation ahead of time . I dont mind – whatever it takes to obey Yah is what is important to me! I am still learning but YHWH has grace for honest mistakes and is continually teaching me as i go along!
So on the Sabbath day which is HOLY and to be separated form the rest of the days of the week ~
- No buying or selling
- No long distance travelling
- No WORK
- and other things
But it also goes much deeper as I am learning ( see page called Sabbath prayers and Blessings)
I have found several websites that give deeper insight into the ancient Hebrew traditions of Sabbath .. that Yahushua Himself would of kept..
But here is an excerpt from one site that conveys what many other sites are saying in a nutshell ( according to the Word of God)
Excerpt from : Biblical Holy days – Sabbath
Principles of Sabbath-Keeping 101
Imagine you are taking a college course in Sabbath-keeping. You have before you the textbook, the Bible, and the appropriate sections marked that relate to the Sabbath .
These are the Bible principles of Sabbath-keeping:
(1) The Sabbath is a day to cease our creating, working with the creation, and appreciate what God has done in the world and is doing in us, Genesis 2.
(2) The Sabbath is a day to realize that man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.
(3) Heavy food preparation is to be done on the day before the Sabbath so that there is no baking or heavy cooking on the Sabbath, Exodus 16.
(4) We should not do any servile work on the Sabbath. This includes our entire family, even our servants and beasts of burden and strangers who live among us, Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5.
(5) We are not to kindle fires for industrial purposes on the Sabbath, Exodus 35. The Eternal’s intent is to allow us to be free to rejoice and rest on the Sabbath, unburdened by routine physical responsibilities.
(6) The Sabbath is an holy convocation. We should meet with others in worship if at all possible, Leviticus 23. We should read the Bible aloud, study God’s laws and statutes, Nehemiah 8, Luke 4, Acts 13. Staying at home is not a Biblical Sabbath rule. In Exodus 16:29, God said, “abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” This refers to going outside the camp to gather manna, to do physical work of gathering food. It is not a general prohibition against leaving one’s abode on the Sabbath.
(7) Gathering sticks on the Sabbath is breaking the Sabbath, Numbers 15.
(8) The Sabbath should be a day of delight and rejoicing, a day which we forsake our thoughts and think God’s thoughts, Isaiah 56, 58.
(9) We are not to do unnecessary work on the Sabbath, such as carrying burdens, Jeremiah 17, so we can be free to rest and worship the Creator.
(10) We are not to buy or sell on the Sabbath, Nehemiah 13.
(11) In following the Savior’s example, we should do good on the Sabbath, visit and comfort the sick, contact people and serve them, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John. We should do spiritual work on the Sabbath, serving others, John 5.
(12) We can pluck a few ears of corn to eat on the Sabbath, but not harvest the whole crop, Matthew 12, Mark 2.
(13) The Sabbath is a time of prayer, Acts 16:13.
(14) The Sabbath is a time to reason with others about spiritual principles, and for ministers to teach the word of God, Acts 17:2, 18:4, 11.
(15) The Sabbath is a time of healing, Matthew 12, Mark 1, 3, Luke 13, 14, John 5.
(16) Singing is a part of Sabbath worship, Ephesians 5:19-20, Colossians 3:16, Psalms 33:1-3, 92:1-4, 95:1-7, 96:1-3, and 98:1-9. Psalms 92 is called the “Sabbath Psalm” and it speaks of singing on the Sabbath.
These basic Sabbath principles show that the Bible does specify many Sabbath “do’s and don’ts.” To read the rest of this informative article go HERE